It’s been a little bit since I’ve done the Friday Five, but I thought I would jump in today with it. I am joining in on the Friday Five with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run.
For those that I know personally, know that I am a bit of an environmentalist and one of my favorite sayings regarding taking care of our planet is “there is no Plan B.” Well I’ve realized or be reminded recently that the same thing applies to my body. I can’t use it all up and not take care of it because again “there is no plan B.”
I’ve got to get better about taking care of myself. I’m constantly aware as the “old mom” at the drop off line that I am not getting any younger. Now granted, I am in much better aerobic shape than I was as a young mom, but I’ve got to start doing better.
Five things that I need to do
- I really need to do more stretching. This 2 minutes after a run just isn’t enough. I haven’t been to yoga in forever. I was never very good at it, but I need to get back to the practice of it.
- Rolling, Rolling, Rolling. I’ve been so bad about this I truly do not even know where my roller is and that’s a problem. My right calf and hamstring have been so tight since my Tri and I’ve need to get that hurts so good rolling going.
- I went for a massage the other day and although not relaxing because it was a get in deep kind of work those muscles sports massage, but I need to do this more. Even if I do one and two religiously, there is nothing better for tired muscles than a massage.
- Fueling better – I’ve got to get a better system for fueling my runs. Some days I go out for a long run without even having eaten anything. No good. I’ve also got to get better and more consistent about fueling during my runs.
- Respecting my Rest Days – Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a good rest day. The problem though is on a rest day, I tend to use it as the day to get everything done that needs to get done. Not always the giving my body a break day. But as the woman of the house, I have to do what I have to do to get things done. I just need to start seeing if maybe I can do some of the heavy lifting things on a non rest day.
What are some things that you do to take care of yourself and keep you in tip top shape for running?